Sunday, May 19, 2013

Vegan challenge, day 1!

Day one went off without a hitch. Almost.

I did manage to down an ENTIRE box of gluten free cookies. Yeah. That wasn't good. But it was vegan.

Breakfast was not pleasant. I made crock-pot oatmeal as follows:

1 c. steel cut oats
4 c. unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 chopped apples
Cook on low for 8 hours

It came out like porridge, which in itself isn't bad, but my sweet-tooth was entirely unsatisfied.

Of course, that is part of the point of this challenge, isn't it?

I've got it in the fridge for tomorrow, but I will be adding a very little fresh squeezed cane juice and some salt on the suggestion of some friends.

Lunch was a disgusting vegetable juice drink. NOT pleasant and made me gag.

Dinner, now that's something different. I figured it would be safe to have a pasta dish as my first vegan dinner. After all, I love pasta, so what could go wrong?

Nothing. Nothing went wrong. This is delicious.

I made Pasta and Vegetables with White Sauce with the suggested additions of sun dried tomatoes and kalamata olives from my new favorite blog Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. Here's how it looks:


Granted, its a terrible image, but you get the idea. Basically, its a toss of steamed veggies, (gluten free) pasta, and a sauce based on almond milk and nutritional yeast plus spices.  Not much that can go wrong with this.

So yes, now I have a wonderful lunch for tomorrow, and time to make yet another recipe for dinner.

I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment